Esperança expanded to Peru in 2014 in partnership with indigenous organization, CADEP. Located in the region of Cuzco, we are working to transform the health and quality of life for hundreds of families in the Peruvian highlands.
We work with local government authorities, community leaders, teachers, and families to determine priorities and accomplish our goals. All of our work with the goal of building capacity with the communities, and we prioritize preserving cultural and indigenous traditions.
Close to the city of Cuzco is the well-known attraction, Machu Picchu, and thousands of tourists pass through this city on an annual basis. What many don’t know is that just beyond the city and in the Peruvian highlands lies hundreds of small rural villages with families who live in conditions of extreme poverty on a daily basis. In fact, just to get to some of these villages can take 8-12 hours by car on windy, treacherous roads. Local farmers, mothers, teachers, nurses and government authorities expressed concern for malnourished children, unclean drinking water, and the poor housing conditions that families were living in. Despite this area being one of the top producers for potatoes, families asked to learn how to plant more fruits and vegetables so that their diet would be better balanced. With the high altitude and mountainous, bare terrain, conditions can be hard to sustain diverse crops.
Our plans for bringing health to the Peruvian people include:
- Building ecological homes that are safe, environmentally-friendly and decrease risk for disease
- Training local farmers on using indigenous potato varieties for improved agricultural production
- Educating families on the prevention of diseases like diarrhea, respiratory infection and other health illnesses that affect local villages
- Providing clean water sources through water filters and chlorine for each home
- As of 2016, sending surgical teams to provide much needed medical care.
See more photos, news, and success stories on CADEP’s Website, CADEP.org.pe.
CADEP is located in Cuzco, Peru
Jr. Atahuallpa N° 482 Tahuantinsuyo – Cusco