Esperança’s Donor Bill of Rights¹
PHILANTHROPY is the desire to promote the welfare and betterment of others. It is expressed by the donation of money to good causes, based on voluntary action for the common good.
To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of Esperança’s donors (and the general public), and that Esperança’s donors and prospective donors have full confidence in our nonprofit and the causes we work toward, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of Esperança’s mission, of the way Esperança intends to use donations and gifts, and of its capacity to use the donations effectively and for the intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on Esperança’s governing board, and to expect the Board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to Esperança’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations including personal information about the donor is handled with utmost respect and confidentiality. Donor personal information may be used to meet our external auditor’s requirements as necessary under applicable laws.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of Esperança or hired solicitors.
- To be informed Esperança does not sell or share donor data with any other organization for any purpose or reason.
- To be free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
¹ Portions of Esperança’s Donor Bill of Rights were developed and/or endorsed by the following organizations:
- Association of Fund Raising Counsel (AAFRC)
- Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP)
- Advancement and Support of Education (CASE)
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP)
- Independent Sector
- National Catholic Development Conference (NCDC)
- National Committee on Planned Giving (NCPG)
- Council for Resource Development (CRD)
- United Way of America